I am always on the look-out for the perfect lubricant and have high standards when it comes to what products I will put inside of me. I prefer to use water-based lubes over silicone-based ones, just because water-based products appeal to me more than synthetically derived ones. Other than the practical, does it work?, it is also important to me if a lube is natural, paraben and chemical free. And, it should be to you as well. Why? Here are some of the ingredients that go into some personal lubricants that should be avoided.
Harmful Chemicals and Body Burden
Sixty percent of all chemicals we put on our skin ends up in the blood stream and lubricants may be absorbed through the mucus membranes of the vagina and anus even more so because there is no barrier for protection. Many personal lubricants and sensual products contain hazardous chemicals that create body burden which is responsible for numerous health ailments.
- Parabens- Parabens are used as preservatives in the cosmetics and are used for their bacteriocidal and fungicidal properties. However, studies have found that parabens can be absorbed through the skin and can mimic the hormone estrogen, which has been linked to breast cancer. Parabens have also been known to decrease the sperm cell count in men, and promote allergic reactions on the skin.
- DEA- Diethanolamine is a chemical wetting agent in cosmetics that helps keep a creamy consistency in lotions and creams. DEA can react with other ingredients in cosmetic formulations to form carcinogens that are readily absorbed through the skin and has been linked with stomach, esophagus, liver and bladder cancers.
- Glycerine- Glycerine (a close relation to glucose or sugar) is used as a sweetener and preservative in cosmetics and has been linked to yeast infections in women who are prone to them.
- Menthol- Synthetic menthol (unlike natural Peppermint Oil) can be irritating and drying to a woman’s genitals and damages mucus membranes.
- Petrochemicals- Petrochemicals in oil-based products coat the skin halting its normal functions and are linked to cancer.
So, when it comes to choosing a personal lubricant, what’s a girl to do? There are a few excellent choices on the market for body-safe lubes made by reputable companies who care about what ingredients they use. One of them is Intimate Organics, who manufacturer a wide line of personal lubricants, sensual and stimulating products as well as body products. IO’s products are all natural, vegan, organically sourced, and don’t contain harmful additives like DEA’s, paraben or glycerine.
IO Hydra is made with a blend of organic extracts including aloe, Goji Berry fruit extract, and lemon grass. Hydra is extremely slick and silky for a water-based lubricant, naturally nourishing the skin, and lasts quite a while. It is the perfect lubricant for using with sex toys, for as we know, sex toys tend to be a bit drying, and it is of course compatible with any toy material. Hydra also makes a great lube for partner sex and enhances penetration by staying slick until it naturally absorbs into the skin. Hydra is almost completely odorless and has a slightly tangy, bitter aloe flavor, which reminds me of edible face masks. I don’t normally eat lubes though, so the flavor isn’t an issue with me!
I have a large collection of massage oils, one for each mood I feel or want to encourage. IO Energizing Massage Oil uses the stimulating aroma of citrus and ginger to invigorate your body, mind and senses. I can remember back when I took an aromatherapy class and how tangy citrus scents are energizing and work to uplift the spirits, dispel mental fatigue and improve concentration. So it is the perfect oil to rejuvenate you after a long hard day. I actually use it on my desk as a for hand massage and to sooth on my temples to keep me alert. I love the scent and feel of this massage oil. It is so inspiring!
So, if you are looking to treat yourself with quality, body-safe products, Intimate Organics make excellent products from soothing bath and shower gels, foot and body creams, relaxing massage oils, stimulating sexual products as well as their exceptional water-based lubricant. Hey, your body and health is worth it!